Saturday, April 05, 2008

57-year-old woman gives birth to "surprise" baby.

According to BioNews.org.uk, a 57-year-old woman has become one of the oldest first-time mothers in the UK (via donor eggs). Eight weeks before she gave birth, doctors had told the woman, Susan Tollefsen, that the swelling in her abdomen was ovarian cancer. It's quite a story. Read it here.

I think the key here is "first-time" mother. As much as I wanted a second child, part of me won't miss the lack of sleep and everything else that comes along with having an infant. I'm not, shall we say, a spring chicken anymore.

But then I get another email full of pictures of someone's newborn (these days, it's usually a second child), and...well...a little bit of my heart breaks off when I think that I won't get to experience that again. And that when I was experiencing it the first time, I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have.

No comments: