Thursday, November 15, 2007

Insulin and its discontents.

This is going to be a serious post.

Today I found out that our friends' baby son has hyperinsulinism. The mom has been keeping a blog about it since January, but I just found out about it today through a Plaxo update. I feel badly that I didn't know until now (lost as we've been in little infertility drama, which pales in comparison), but I feel much more badly for them.

Because I don't know what else I can do to help other than offer support and lots of prayers, here are some links for more information on the disease:

Diagnostic tests
Athena Diagnostics
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
Stories about kids with HI
Resources for families
Treatment of congenital HI

I don't understand why bad things happen to good people, especially to babies who haven't done anything to hurt anybody. In every picture of this little boy, he's wearing a huge smile, even when he has a tube in his nose. I need to have a little talk with God. Not that He owes me an answer, but what's He thinking?

Speaking of insulin, Dr. R thinks I have a "little" insulin resistance, based on the number of follicles I'm producing (I don't have the other risk factors, like obesity). He prescribed Metformin. I'm also supposed to cut down on carbs like pasta, which I don't eat that much, and sugar, which I do. I'd better get serious about cleaning up my act as we go into this last and final round.

Still...blah blah blah. So I have to cut down on the M&Ms (and probably my nightly glass of wine) and hit the gym a little more often. It's a far cry from what my friends and their little boy are going through.

So, here's a note to self: Self, be grateful for what you have. In abundance. And when you start moping about what you don't have, it's time to think about what you can do for someone else.

No comments: